Sunday, March 18, 2012

follow up

First of all, I'd like to thank you all who are reading the blog. As it was brought to my attention very recently, not only my close friends are reading me. Yes I do post my blog on Facebook, but I never thought it would extend beyond the friends and family group. So thank for those who've spread the word and for taking the time to read my mood and thoughts... Of course it means even less pics of the kids in the future if possible, since I have no idea who's reading and I'm a paranoid mom ;)
Other than that, no change, it's cool.

Last time I've blogged about food, it did generate all kind of comments, reactions, and a general interest. I should have expected that, since everyone in my life appreciates good food. But it got me thinking, and in the interest of sharing, I've paid even closer attention to what we brought back home from grocery shopping and what we made with it.
First, I said I was eager to try some of the Australian treats that everyone told us about. So I went on a mission to select 2 flavors of Tim Tam (out of an entire supermarket aisle full of them!) and ended up picking chewy caramel (Tiare's special order) and mint dark chocolate. 
Both are close to the best thing that could possibly happen to a cookie biscuit. It is chewy, crispy, sweet but not overwhelmingly sugary, and the mint chocolate is so good that Antoine learned how to say Tim Tam in 5 seconds ("more Tim Tam, mommy?")
Totally worth the calories intake (count 100/piece, oh yeah!) and probably one of the best commercially available cookies.



During the same grocery shopping trip, I grabbed a pack of ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army something... Corp maybe?). Literally the war soldier biscuits, OMG! Excellent surprise I must say. It's like a coconut version of the ginger snap. And you have to love the packaging.

I also took my camera out of it's case for some Lamington pics. After trying the bar version, we had it's cube counterpart today. Pros: an even fluffier sponge cake, light as a cloud (!) Cons: obviously less chocolate-coconut per serving... Really delicious. There are some good and easy recipes for Lamington bars out there on the net, if you feel like trying something new, it may be your chance. I can see Kathy turning it into a Lamington cupcake (Kathy, please?).



And FYI, Australia makes the biggest packs of Weet Bix ever seen on earth. Tiare and I are not complaining about it, but it's still funny to meet one of these gigantic boxes.
And according to the package, being a Weet-Bix kid makes you an Aussie kid. Now that was easy :)




Note: 1- the look on Nic's face
2- our typically queenslandish kitchen...

This Saturday, we went to West End on our weekly market trip, spent some time listening to Irish music (St Patrick's day here too, obviously) while eating fresh cheese bread sticks and drinking good and freshly brewed coffee. For some reason, the Australian coffee always ranges between ok and good in a tasting scale, depending on where you get it, but is always, whatever the quality, more expensive than what you would pay for in Paris or even Manhattan. And everyone seems ok with that, go figure... Well, at least it's good.

We came back with loads of fresh veggies and fruits, including the delicious (and so pretty in pink, right?!) dragon fruit.











Next on the to-do list: prepare some jello-shots using the local flavors. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment