Monday, February 13, 2012

Biking my way out of poor life-habits


All right, new country also means new credit history (I say new, understand “none”). Starting again from scratch, trying to convince people how reliable we are, and why they should let us borrow their money.
Remember this one, folks? It was like driving from my sofa...
Sooo, long story short, we decided that the best for everyone would be to buy our first car cash, like what we did in the US, and until then save some good money to make it happen faster (and also because we’ve learned our lessons. No matter how comfy and roomy our first 2000$ Ford Taurus 1999 was, I’m not getting another one).

San Francisco
We bought bikes. For people who know me well enough, the impatient girl who likes to drive (too) fast while singing loud some girly rock songs, those who know my love for high heels and boots and the way I don’t like to wear anything but short dresses and a gigantic purse full of useful things, useless things, and a laptop, this decision may come as a shock.
Well, guess what: it is a shocker for me too. The lab-home distance is not too bad, though: ~7km each way. But you see, biking in Brisbane is very much like… biking in San Francisco. There is no such thing as flat in those streets. 


See? No bike rack...
FYI: my bike doesn't come with a motor :)
It goes up hill, for a long time, then down- very fast, with red lights waiting for you to turn red every 700 m or so. So instead of 20 minutes of enjoyable ride at a normal pace, I’m huffing and puffing for 45 minutes each way. In a pretty heavy traffic too. And it can be compared to San Francisco but for 2 important details: first, when it rains here, you can feel all the anger of the tropics pouring on your head. And it tends to happen often during the summer. Second, one cannot take its bike on the bus. I know, brutal isn’t it? (especially now that you know about the rain?!) So when some may have chosen to eat more brocolis, take a membership at the local gym, or do whatever it takes for good resolutions on the 1st of January 2012, I decided to move to Australia. The country is changing me already. Hopefully for the best! 

ps: I'm complaining, but Nic is the one in charge of carrying mister A in a baby seat. Pics to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment